Photo Submission Guidelines for Readers
- File Size: Largest possible
- File type: JPG (10 setting)
- File name: Subject-Photographer’s Name-Age-City-State.jpg (Deer-John Smith-15-Dayton-VA.jpg)
- Email subject must reflect image: “Deer by John Smith”
- Include image as an attachment (not in the body of the email)
- One image topic per email. Email should include:
- Full Name, Age
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Image Captions: Captions should include the identity of the subject in the image(s) plus interesting details from your photography when you got the image(s)
(All photos submitted will automatically be considered for any feature; it does not matter what address you use. However, the address you use gives us an idea what you have in mind.)
- Include your name, address, and phone number with each photo submission.
- Save to CD or DVD the largest files you have. They may be either jpegs or tiffs. Please include a printout so we can quickly see what photos are on the disk without needing to put the disk into our computer. Label papers and CDs/DVDs with your name, address, and phone number.
- Prints or CDs submitted by mail will not be returned, so send us copies of your photos, not your only photos.
- Any photos submitted may be considered for use in either the Nature Friend magazine, or “The Photo Critique” in the Study Guide.
Tips for Scanning Photos
Sometimes we hear questions about file size. What is important is that we receive the largest file size you have. To be considered for a front cover, the file should be about 20 megabytes before it is compressed as a jpeg. For photos used inside the magazine, the file size should be a minimum of 5 megabytes, but larger if you have larger.
Another way to put this, photographs submitted for full page consideration, such as for the front cover, should be 8×10 at a resolution of 300. Photos submitted for inside use should be a minimum of 4×5 at a resolution of 300.
The best solution is to always send the largest file you have. If this is too big to send as an e-mail, you may mail the file to us on a CD.
* Note: When the file is saved as a jpeg, choose the 10 setting if/when prompted. The file will be considerably smaller than before compression, yet large enough for us to use.
If you still have questions, please ask a knowledgeable friend on your end if they can help you. I’m sorry, but our staff is limited, and we are not able to give individualized instructions to every one. Thank you.
Tips for Taking Photos
- Only the best photos are considered for a cover. This means submit only your highest resolution digital photos.
- Use a tripod or another solid support so photos are sharp, SHARP, SHARP! Please do not submit blurry pictures.
- Use good lighting, either sunlight or flash, so subject is well lit.
- To be considered for a cover photograph remember to shoot vertical format pictures. This means you need to tip the camera when you take the picture.
Nature Friend Magazine is published monthly by Dogwood Ridge Outdoors.
Address: Nature Friend Magazine, Photo Editor, 4253 Woodcock Lane, Dayton, VA 22821