- The Shenandoah Valley and surrounding mountains will likely be ablaze in peak fall foliage color the second or third weekend.
- October is the peak migration time for hawks, cormorants, water birds, gulls, and seabirds at Cape May, NJ. Terns, egrets, and herons are also migrating strongly.
- Buck deer may be seen sparring with each other.
- The last Barn Swallows head south in early October.
- In late October, flounder begin moving south from Virginia to North Carolina, spawning as they go.
- Visit a hawk watch site and count the migrating raptors.
Exploring Nature, October 2021
Help Your Family Explore the Wonders of God's Creation
Full color magazine delivered to your door + digital access. Subscribe now for just $5 a month!
Buy Magazine + Study Guide: $7.50/month