Can you do this quiz without checking in your bird guide? Try it!
- What duck often holds its tail stiffly upright?
A. Wood Duck. #6.
B. Ruddy Duck. #3.
C. Common Goldeneye. #8.
- What duck calls most domestic ducks its descendants?
A. Common Merganser. #14.
B. Black Duck. #9.
C. Mallard. #5.
- Correct! When Ruddy Ducks show off, they raise their tails! Waddle to #12.
- Which male duck has a dove-like cooing?
A. King Eider. #16.
B. Gadwall. #10.
C. Northern Shoveler. #15.
- Right! All domestic ducks except the Muscovy originate from it. Swim to #4.
- Wrong! Wood Ducks’ tails are flat. Try #1 again.
- What duck’s bill is very broad at the end?
A. Canvasback. #17.
B. Blue-winged Teal. #20.
C. Northern Shoveler. #19.
- Wrong! A Goldeneye’s tail is flat. Try #1 again.
- Too bad! Wrong again! Flip back to #2.
- Try again! A Gadwall’s call is low and reedy.
- What duck has a white facial crescent?
A. Bufflehead. #24.
B. Blue-winged Teal. #21.
C. American Wigeon. #26.
- What duck has a long pointed tail?
A. Wood Duck. #23.
B. Ring-necked Duck. #13.
C. Northern Pintail. #22.
- Try #12 again! Ring-necked Ducks have a broad tail.
- Sorry, wrong. Try #2 again.
- Too bad! A male shoveler does not coo, but clucks. Try again.
- Correct! A King Eider has a very peculiar sound. Run to #18.
- Wrong! Try #7 again.
- What duck does not nest on the ground?
A. Black Duck. #28
B. Hooded Merganser #27
C. Wood Duck. #25
- Correct! The Northern Shoveler uses his bill to scoop up underwater morsels. You are finished! Great job!
- Wrong! A Blue-winged Teal’s bill is narrow at the end.
- Correct! This teal has a white stripe shaped like a crescent moon on its face. Now try #2.
- You are right! Pintails have a long thin tail! Go to #11.
- Too bad! Try #12 again.
- Sorry. A Bufflehead’s face is mostly black.
- Right! Wood Ducks nest in trees. Go to #7.
- Oh my! Wrong again! Plod back and try some more.
- Wrong! Mergansers nest on the ground. Try #18 again.
- Too bad! Black Ducks don’t nest in trees. Try #18 again.